NEW IMPAIRMENT TABLES: On 1 April 2023 new DSP Impairment Tables were put into force. DSP Help has now been updated to reflect these changes!

Get help

What kind of help is available?

The DSP Help resource has been made available by Social Security Rights Victoria (SSRV). You can read more about this project here.

SSRV is a state-wide community legal centre, providing free legal services to disadvantaged and vulnerable Victorians and those who support them.

SSRV may be able to help you more directly. SSRV may be able to help you by:

  • Giving you advice about your eligibility for the DSP or the rejection of your application.
  • Helping you get a decision reviewed or appealed.
  • Representing you at the Administrative Appeals Tribunal if your matter is being heard there.

SSRV is a Victorian service, but the DSP Help website is available throughout Australia. If you need help but don’t live in Victoria please see below for a list of services from around the country that may be able to assist you.

Who can get help?

SSRV provides advice to anyone living in Victoria with a Centrelink issue.

SSRV can provide further legal assistance in some circumstances. SSRV uses published guidelines when deciding when to offer further assistance. You can read about these guidelines on SSRV’s website.

When to seek legal help

You may consider seeking help if any of the following apply to you:

  • You don’t understand something on this website.
  • You have had your DSP application rejected.
  • Your DSP has been cancelled or suspended.
  • Centrelink has made any other decision that you disagree with.

How to seek help


You can contact SSRV using the Legal Assistance Line on 03 9481 0355.

The Legal Assistance Line operates Monday – Friday, 9am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm.

The Legal Assistance Line will provide you with information. If you are eligible for an SSRV clinic, the Legal Assistance Line will help you make a booking.

Calling the Legal Assistance Line is the first step to getting further legal help, including getting someone to assist you with an appeal.

Support Workers/Health Professionals

If you are a support worker or health professional assisting a client with a DSP issue, you can contact SSRV using the Worker Help Line. The Worker Help Line is available on 03 9481 0655.

The Worker Help Line operates Monday to Friday, between 9:00am and 5:00pm.

The Worker Help Line will provide you with information about your client’s situation. If your client is eligible for other services, the Worker Help Line will let you know.

If you would like to make a referral, please let the Worker Help Line know at the start of the call.

Other help is available

Other services may also be able to help you with the DSP.

You may contact Victoria Legal Aid for legal help.

If you live, work or study in the Geelong, Bellarine Peninsula, Surfcoast or Colac Otway regions, you may contact Barwon Community Legal Service for legal help.

You may want help from an advocate who is not a lawyer. You can find advocates using the Disability Advocacy Resource Unit’s find an advocate tool on their website.

I don’t live in Victoria

Other States and Territories have legal services that may be able to assist you with Centrelink issues. You can find a service close to you using Economic Justice Australia’s website.

Were you able to find the help you needed?

Social Security Rights Victoria respectfully acknowledges the traditional custodians of the Aboriginal nations within Victoria where our work takes place. We pay our respects to Elders both past and present.

This website is supported by funding from the Victorian Legal Services Board and Commissioner under the Victorian Legal Services Board Grants Program. Copyright © 2020, SSRV. All rights reserved.